Father's Day .....etc.

Finally the day ear-marked for fathers all over the world, is over. The excitement so visible from weeks ago, screaming out from banners outside greeting card shops, billboards, hoardings at strategic locations, advertisements on television, FM channels, newspapers, magazines................daring you to miss it, has died down.
I wondered what my father's reaction would be, had he been alive today, and I'd wished him Happy Father's Day with all the outpourings of a daughter's heart in a delicately designed greetings card and a box of his favourite assorted biscuits.
His typical reaction would have been,
"Father's Day?Eshob abar ki biliti dhong?Kintu biscuit gulo ene khoob bhalo korechish, Ma."
To my Baba(that's what I'd call him), celebration of such days were no more than a westernized fad.The biscuits, rather than the occasion they were meant for, would make him glad.
To me, every day I thank my dad for what he has been to me, is Father's Day.And I think, that's what my father would have expected me to believe.
It's not as if I am against giving dads their due. Hardly so. In fact, I think it's wonderful to have a special day in a year for dads alone. For their role in their children's lives cannot be underestimated.
My son, a worthy member of generation y,had been wracking his brains trying to think of surprises to give his dad on this day. Finally,his idea of the best way to celebrate? Mail a couple of suitable e-cards to Papa, give him a B-I-G hug as soon as he wakes up, order in some delicious food ,play cricket with him and watch a good movie with him over popcorns and coke.
And what do you think is his Papa's reaction? Pleased as a pumpkin to be showered with so much love.No matter if the restaurants, coke companies and card companies end up raking moolah out of it.
Dad seems to smile down at me, from his photograph, eyes twinkling. I smile back, thanking him once again for the countless lessons of life he's taught me.

In my heart, I also pray for the thousands of fathers spending this day alone, in old-age homes, away from the children they've nurtured and provided for all their lives, now forced to live a life devoid of the love and care of their own children.
Happy Fathers Day to all the fathers of the world!

Yours Randomly,

"..."

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude Unplugged

Gurus in my Universe

Darwin Redefined