A Long Way Traveled


Technology has invaded our lives completely. Over the last decade, our world seems to have shrunk drastically. It wouldn't amaze me to find one day,kids thinking that the world exists on the other side of the computer screen.

I think I was in Class Eight when we were first introduced to computers. We'd religiously take off our shoes before entering that hallowed room which beheld the wonder of wonders.....computers! Now, Gen Y,don't you snigger! It was a kind of a wonder to us then.The school had signed a contract with some private computer institute to issue us certificates. A rare thing in those days.

I know I should've felt lucky to be able to get such an opportunity.But the Basic program, honestly, was quite a bore....Run...Go To...Return...so many stupid commands! The internet had not even cast its shadow, at that time. However, it was a novel experience coupled with the fact that our computer teachers were young, pretty and very friendly.I still remember the thrill of achievement when we'd be able to create odd sounds (like a whistle) after writing down an exceptionally long program.

About twelve years later,I was handling a mouse, learning to right-click and left click, sending e-mails and looking for friends on the internet. Computers were still the awkward, bulky machine with many a part to switch on.

Zoom to the present.( That's exactly 21 years since I first set foot in my school Computer room.)

Today I find myself completely at ease with my laptop (a sleek device with multiple features)...It's difficult to go through the day without catching up with friends scattered world-wide, on the net. Checking my mails is like taking my daily cup of tea.

Making question-papers, searching for information,reading news-articles, networking with people, and most recently, blogging,tweeter-ing,...the choice is laid out like a feast before me.


Well,its not just fun and work....there's serious learning thrown in too. Six months into the learntrak online course, I'm enjoying every moment of it. Simulated courses, case-studies, it has it all. Every course I did ...Facilitating in difficult situations, writing effective e-mails , Emotional Quotient, Behavioural interviews,personal accountability, and so many more........had excellent content.

And now, I hear, there's this online store,(the world's largest) where you can actually choose courses and get certified by big names in the IT industry.

Hey you professionals working your way up the corporate ladder! Grab it while you can. It's not meant just for students trying to make their CV more impressive. You too can take advantage of a time when aquiring new skills needs just a click. A click,and whoosh, you're on your way to the virtual classroom!

I look back two decades and wonder... from desktops to blackberries,from blackboards to computer screens,aided by technology,learning has come a long way,indeed.

Yours Randomly,

"..."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude Unplugged

Gurus in my Universe

Darwin Redefined